Monday, June 22, 2009

sewing projects

I spent all weekend working on a few sewing projects for the baby.
Here they are!


Ever since I saw these nursing capes a few years ago I've always wanted one. They seem like the perfect way to nurse in public. No more worrying about your blanket falling down unexpectedly, exposing yourself to all the world! Since I've never had one before I was so excited to make one this time around. Here's the picture I used as a guide.

And here's the end result:


The picture isn't that great since nobody is actually modeling it but you get the general idea. I stitched two pockets on the inside of the cape for pacifiers or nursing pads. I can't wait to use it!


My other project was making burp cloths. Instead of the standard cloth diapers that we always seemed to use for our other kids, I decided to dress them up a bit. I took regular cloth diapers and backed them with soft flannel material. They look a little more stylish and they're still functional. I still have three more that are waiting to be finished but I wanted to wait until we know what we're having so I don't have to keep selecting gender neutral fabrics!

(By the way, is the brown fabric in the center gender neutral enough?? I stuggled over that one since it has the flower design. I just thought it was so cute!! Besides, it's not like the baby wears them, right? This is just me justifying my material selection!)


My next project will be a crib set. But that will definitely have to wait until we find out what we're having. That is something I want to go all out for--
boy or girl!

4 comments:

Emily said...

You'll love your nursing cover, they are the best ever.

And your burp cloths are super cute too! You know they just spit up on those, right?

Kim said...

Yeah, I'm aware they're going to get good and gross, lol! But I have to wear them on my shoulder so they might as well be cute, right? :o)

Manda said...

They are so cute Kim! They're definitely neutral enough too. I love the first one. And the nursing cover is awesome! You are so crafty. I can't wait to find out if it's a boy or girl!

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Absolutely adorable! Where DO you get your craftiness?!!