Sunday, November 15, 2009

false labor = annoying

Last night around 5pm I started getting regular contractions about every 5-9 minutes apart. They weren't terribly uncomfortable but we decided to call the doctor anyway. Normally I like to wait it out and spend as much time at home as possible. But we had one little wrench thrown into my labor plans--group B strep, which they told me I tested positive for at my last doctor's visit. I don't know how many of you have ever tested positive for this late in pregnancy but it is a first for me. I even had to read up on it since I didn't know much about it. Here's what I know:

-it's not something contagious
-the group B strep bacteria is a normal bacteria found in your body
-it's totally not related to group A strep (strep throat)
-you can test positive for it one day and not the next day
-just because you test positive doesn't mean you're infected, it just means you're a carrier

Basically what that means is that I have to be given antibiotics during labor to protect the baby from getting infected. The antibiotic has to be given twice with four hours inbetween doses and all this has to take place before the baby is born...

So now, if I think I might be in labor (like last night) I have to get to the hospital quickly to give myself enough time to be administered antibiotics for something that I might not even have. Let's just make labor and delivery more stressful, shall we?

Long story short, I went to the hospital in the middle of the night knowing full well that I would be sent home, and I was. But I can't take any chances. If any good came from last night, I now know that I'm dilated to 2 cm and the baby's head is very low. I just wish my uterus would make up it's mind.

5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh I had that...and it made getting my epidural take forever because I had to wait for ALL the antibiotics in my IV to go through. That was the worst. But yea, if you thought you were in labor you'd have to go because of the group B...bummer.

Swanson Family said...

I had Group B strep with Janae (and not with Kiera)and I knew ahead of time, but she came so fast (5 hours start to finish) that they didn't have time for even one course of the meds(they were not expecting my labor to go so quickly). Anyway - everything was just fine. They had us stay one extra night so that they could observe her since I didn't have the meds in time. Its all precautionary, as you said. Just so you know - even if you don't have all the meds prior to the baby coming it will still be fine. Don't stress about it too much. Good luck!

Emily said...

could the baby choose to the the false labor run at a more opportune time next time? :0)

Strep B positive with Ethan,
Negative with Naomi

Manda said...

Oh, how annoying! I hate false labor, I had that with both girls!
As for the group B strep, I had that with Aimee. I only ended up getting 3/4 of the antibiotics (they stopped it because I passed out!)and it was the same as Heather, we had to stay an extra night, and she was totally fine. I'm sorry about all the extra hassle! I got really excited about another Boman baby, lol. Hopefully she'll come soon! Love you all!

Lawther family said...

Oh man, I have tested positive with all four of my boys. That is why they think I went into labor so early with Kainoa, and given that I was only at the hospital for 20 minutes before I delivered I didn't get any meds either.
But I did with all the rest.