Wednesday, March 12, 2008

another project and the spaceship dentist

I've been looking for a chair for awhile now to replace the glider rocker that we never used. (Don't get me wrong--I loved the rocker when I was pregnant but I don't think anyone has used it since.) I have been searching craigslist for something inexpensive that I could possibly reupholster. Since I had never attempted upholstery before I didn't want to get something too mind blowing for my first try.

Anyway, I finally found a pretty basic chair. I liked the simple design of it and loved how the arms of the chair mimicked the curves on the arms of our new sofa. So I spent a whopping $10 on one butt-ugly brown chair! I know--you're thinking, "Why would anyone buy something so repulsive??" Believe me, the picture does not do it justice. It was pretty gross.
Then I went to JoAnne's and found another bargain--khaki colored cotton twill fabric for $0.75 a yard!! Honestly, can you get a better deal than that? I bought what they had left which cost me about $2.00.

Finally it was time to disassemble and try and figure out how the heck this chair was upholstered in the first place. After pulling out a gazillion (okay I'm exaggerating--probably only a bazillion) staples I was finally able to start taking the pieces apart.
Next was (for me) the fun part--sanding and painting. Okay, well maybe not the sanding part. But I love painting! It's like vacuuming--instant gratification. Okay, you all probably think I'm a weirdo. Anyway, I liked this part because the chair really started to transform. Oh, and Isaac was helping as usual. :o) I don't know why he was showing off his gut.
After the paint dried, it was the part I dreaded. I was worried that after all my efforts my inexperience in upholstery was going to make the chair look really crappy. But I took it one piece at a time and I think it turned out pretty good! :o) I used some leftover material that I had used to make throw pillows for the sofas to make a new pillow for my chair. I'm really pleased with the results on both the chair and the pillow. And all I spent was $12 for the chair and about $3 for the pillow! I love bargains.
In other news--

Shailey and Eli went to the dentist today to get their teeth cleaned. There is a really cool dentist office here for kids with an entire "spaceship theme". They do everything that they can to make going to the dentist fun. You can check them out here.

Shailey and Eli both got new toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, a plastic tumbler and a timer so they can be sure that they are brushing long enough. And the best part (for me) was no cavities! I wish they had such a cool dentist when I was a kid. Maybe I wouldn't dislike going to the dentist so much.

And one last thing--we finally got a new dining room table set! Our old set was getting too small as it could only seat four people and in case nobody noticed we are a family of five. :o) Anyway, we got it for a great deal. I was a little worried about the fabric on the seats. I mean, really? Cream colored fabric and three kids? Really? So we tried to remedy that potential problem with a whole can of Scotch Guard. For any other moms out there with messy eaters (honestly what mom doesn't have a messy eater?) who isn't sold on Scotch Guard yet--you have to buy this stuff!! We spent about $5 or $6 on a can and already I have been able to clean up spaghetti, pizza sauce and chocolate with ease. Well worth the money! Anyway, here's our new table.

11 comments:

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Way to go Kim! You did a great job upholstering for your first time. It looks very professional! I also love your new table and chairs. I can't wait to come and visit this summer and see everything and everyone in person! Love ya lots...Mom.

Emily said...

I am seriously amazed! Your chair looks so good! You inspire me! And I love your kitchen table, it's super nice!

That dentist sounds pretty cool too...maybe they will like going to the dentist! I used to...no wait, I still hate going.

rose said...

oh my gosh! you need to teach me how to redo one of our chairs! you did a GREAT JOB! it looks soooooo good!
and way to go on no cavities. that's awesome. maybe if they put the chocolate in their mouth instead of on your nice new chairs they would have some...

the splendid life of us... said...

Wow, great job on the chair! I just don't think I have the patience for that, but maybe someday! Love the new dining room table and chairs.

Natalie said...

You are so talented! It is always fun to find someone's junk and turn it into a treasure! Good job, it looks great!

It is nice to have such a fun dentist to make it not such a scary expierence!

Amy said...

I love all of it! Your chair turned out awesome! And I love your dining room table and chairs!!!! They are super nice and sooo cute!

Swanson Family said...

Great job on the chair! My sister and I reupholstered a chair a few years ago - except we were very ambitious (or dumb) and did a large wing-backed chair. It turned out okay, but neither of us has been brave enough to tackled upholstering again. Needless to say, you were smart in starting out small - it looks awesome!

Matt and Christy said...

Kim, I agree with everyone else. You need to put on a class to show us how to upholster. I am absolutely clueless! Great work.

McKay and Rachel said...

Kim - You are amazing! I would never attempt to do a chair like that. It rocks! I love your dining room set as well - very cool. You should star in your own design show or something.

Ben & Diane said...

okay.......so I haven't checked blogs in a while. Love the chair. love the dining table set. Love taking my kids to the dentist too. There you go. I love everything about you.

Kim said...

Love your dinning room set! It looks like what we want for our house! Were did you get it from!